Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Denied!!

I signed up for the free/reduced lunch program for school again this year. It really has been the only subsidized program we have actually been on for a long time. It's been kind of nice not to have to worry about school lunches. Last year because Doug was out of work when school started they qualified us for free everything! Free registrations for the Jr and Sr high levels, free class fees, free lunch, free ACT testing, free sports, the works. I asked them if I had to re qualify when he got a job, they said nope! This is good for the entire school year! Cool!

So far this year we have been riding on that freebie until they could process my application this year. I got my email yesterday, that we didn't even qualify for reduced! That means school lunches are $1.60 to $2 a lunch! That's $10 a week! Far cry from free or even reduced at $2 a week per kid!

There's good and bad to this!! Good... we must be doing pretty good. I don't remember ever not qualifying for at least reduced! Good and Bad...I've decided to send school lunches! The kids are WAY excited!!

Sooo, anyone got some good advice on home lunches for both Jr high and elementary students?

2 comments:

GG said...

My kids go back and forth. We let them choose each day if they want home lunch or school lunch. MOST of the time, they want school lunch.

One thing I learned quickly though for home lunch...the lunch boxes (if you can even call them that - they are fabric! and not boxes at all) are AWFUL! If you can find the old metal ones - they are the best. If not, a good ol fashioned paper sack work well!

As for the actual lunches - my kids always want sandwiches. Justin - PB&J, Katie - Tuna or ham and cheese. Applesauce is always good, and my kids LOVE the yogart covered raisins! Throw in some juice or a small bottle of water and some crackers or chips and you're good to go!

I love home lunches because I get to write them little love notes! I think that is the only reason they ever want home lunch. They can't wait to read their note! Shawn says they read them in the car on the way to school! :)

Anonymous said...

Darrien absolutely loves lunchables, of coarse they are WAY too expensive to buy everyday, so now I make him my own lunchables. I buy a pkg. of sliced cheese, a pkg. of that rectagular ham, and a box of Ritz. Then I just cut the cheese and ham into little squares, throw in some crakers and put them in snack size bags and voila! You can make real cheap side too, like honey nut cherrios with pretzels and m&ms, couple marshmallows....etc. Then just throw in a banana and a juice box, or a bottled water.