
Almost every morning we gather together to have Family Prayer. We found that reading the scriptures as a family works best at night for us, but I also realize we need to start the day off right. A few years ago we came across this book by Gordon B. Hinckley called "Stand a Little Taller". It has daily scripture gems and Pres Hinckley's thoughts on each one. I so love these little daily gems. Sometimes I swear they move around and come up as we need them.
Some recent entries are...
"The Blessings of Work, 'the labour of the righteous tendeth to life' Prov 10:16 Work is the miracle by which talent is brought to the surface and dreams become reality."
"He Answers Prayers, 'I know that God will give liberally to himthat asketh...Therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee' 2Nephi 4:35 Get on your knees and thank God for His goodnees to you and express unto Hi the righteous desires of your hearts. He hears, He respods, He answers. Not always as we would wish He would answer, but there is no question in my mind that He answers."
"A Positive Attitude, 'Serve the Lord with gladness; come before his presence with singing...Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise; be thankful unto him, and bless his name.' Psalm 100:2 Do you feel gloomy? Lift your eyes. Stand on your feet. Say a few words of appreciation and love to the Lord. Be positive. I do not know how anybody who is a member of the Church can feel gloomy for very long. This is the day which has been spoken of by those who have gone before us. Let us live worthy of our birthright. Keep the faith. Nurture your testimonies. Walk in righteousness and the Lord will bless you and prosper you, and you will be a happy and wonderful people."
Good stuff, huh!!?

This year I came across another book with "daily gems", it is called "Come Listen to a Prophet's Voice" by Lloyd D. Newell. I couldn't give up Pres Hinckley's book, so now we read from both. These are quotes from past and present General Authorities.
This one is from this morning...
"Do you want peace in your families?...If you do, live your religion, and the very peace of God will dwell and abide with you, for this is where peace comes from." John Taylor
'Many people long for peace in their lives but don't know where to find it. Some search for peace on the dead-end streets of selfishness or take unsatisfying detours through empty fields of pleasure-only to discover more unrest, more uneasiness. Peace is a gift of God; it comes to those who strive to live righeously, those who sincerely submit to the Lord's will in their lives. When our trust rests in the Lord and our lives reflect his teachings, we are blessed with peace of mind and courage in the face of adversity. What blessing is greater, what peace more lasting, than the peace of God! His promise is certain: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid" John 14:27"
I so love them both. They are short enough and yet profound enough to get our spiritual fix in the morning before we start our day!
5 comments:
I have seen the Stand a Little Taller book. A friend at work used to read it to me every day. She now moved to a different position so I don't get the messages any more. I'm starting to miss them! I'll have to hunt her down on my breaks and make a point to read them with her! There's another resolution for ya! Hehe
hey, You're too quick, you're not supposed to comment before I'm done with the post!! :)
I don't like that it keeps the post up when I'm editing it. It should remove it until I repost it. Oh well!!
I guess I shouldn't chase away my main commenter, huh?
Love ya!!
LOL Sorry! I feel the same way! I wish it would temporarily remove the post while I am editing. It drives me nuts! Sorry for commenting too soon. I'll re-read and comment again! Hehe
Love ya!!
Okay..hopefully, you were done editing! I really like the addition of adding bits of the books! Great messeges!
Your so cute! I love you to bits!!!
Post a Comment