Friday, January 30, 2009

Draper Temple Open House


Yesterday we had the awesome privilege to attend the Draper Temple Open House. We decided to go ahead and take the time allotted for our ward, even though it was in the middle of the day of the work/school week, and boy did it pay off!!

There was hardly anyone there, we could actually take our time, really enjoy everything, talk to the kids, and not worry about losing them!!

Obviously they've done this a few times because they are getting it down to a science! You arrive at the church house ( they have 3 different ones for crowd control) where you watch a 12 minute video about temples and about the Draper area. Then we board a nice Tour bus and head up to the temple. We went through a self guided but "follow the yellow brick road" kind of tour through the building where we got to see the baptistry, dressing rooms (including the Bride's room), ordinance rooms, celestial room, waiting rooms, chapel, sealing rooms. etc. They have signs and information all along the way so you know what is what and what happens in each of these places. I thought it was cool because we got to be real up close to the baptismal font and got to actually go inside the sealing rooms and sit down and look through the mirrors that show us eternity!


Some of the kids favorite parts were the Baptismal Font, Aaron said he loved the sealing room and mirrors, Tiff said she loved the room where you get dressed up to be married! (The Brides Dressing Room).

As we exited the Temple, they guided us to the Stake Center across the parking lot. There, they had the Cultural Hall beautifully decorated and served cookies and water bottles. It was very nice. Then they had us board the appropiate bus to head back to our cars.

It was very nicely done and we had a nice experience. The only thing missing, were two of my kids. Shawn never showed up or answered his phone, and Beth decided she couldn't miss math and she got the chance to go with the Laurel's & Priests in our ward so she didn't need to see it again. The thought crossed my mind that I hope one day we ALL will be in the celestial room together in a dedicated temple. I just don't know if I could be happy missing even one or two!!

I feel very blessed to have the family I have, and hope we can achieve that one day!!
The Open House runs through February. If you haven't already planned on going, it's worth the time and effort!

4 comments:

GG said...

You have such a beautiful and wonderful family.

I love you!

Jennie said...

Thanks for the reminder. I really want to see it. Are they okay with bringing little ones then?
Thanks for always being so great! I look forward to your comments on Jessica & my blogs.
Glad you all had a great time. I look forward to it myself.

pammy said...

We have tickets in March! I can't wait! It looks so beautiful ... our district will be the new Oquirrh temple when it is finished!

Annette said...

What a wonderful opportunity you had! We've only been able to do it once, with the temple here in Billings.

I loved getting caught up on your blog and thanks for the videos of Duck, Duck, Goose! She is just too darn cute! I miss having little ones...

And you are a brave woman to play "Fugitive"! What an adventure!