Saturday, May 24, 2008

Guatemala Trip

Just thought that I would check out how blog posting works, and give you a little information on our trip to Guatemala. We packed in a lot of stuff in the 9 days we were gone. 4 days of travel, 3 days of service in the village, 2 days of sight seeing, and a little bit of shopping mixed in. Donna will probably post little stories about it here and there, but I have to get in on some of the action.


When we first got there, we went to the Temple before we could even check in to our room, because it was the only opportunity we would have. It was pretty cool doing sealings in Spanish, and being able to understand a few words now and then.




The travel to the village was quite interesting, from small twin prop planes to 15 passenger mini vans over some pretty rough mountainous roads.





I think that the service was more beneficial to us, than the people in the village. They were a very friendly and humble people. Comparing their circumstances to ours was very enlightening.
I wrote a little poem about it, and here it is:




The Expedition

I ventured forth from my comfort realm,
Postponing the life I lead,
To further the work of a noble cause,
Giving help to those in need.

The help we give, I think to myself,
Will enrich another’s way,
But as we begin to work with them,
My idea begins to fray.

They are humble, and kind, and loving,
And welcome us in their home.
They share with us the little they have.
Reality starts to come.

When looking through someone else’s eyes,
And seeing the life they lead,
Relating to what I think I know,
It begins to plant a seed.

The worldly things we think we need,
That we try so hard to gain,
Are not what makes us who we are.
They have made that very plain.

The life we live, and the things we do,
The way we treat those we meet,
Unfolds the people we really are,
And if our lives are complete.

I take with me the lessons I’ve learned,
Enjoying the strides I’ve made.
But returning to the daily grind,
My new goals begin to fade.

3 comments:

GG said...

Wow, Uncle Doug! That is quite impressive! It brought tears to my eyes!

Donna said...

He does have a way with words, doesn't he!! I hope he keeps posting...please, oh please!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, Doug. Your poem is very enlightening to me. I promise to keep my goals in sight and not let them fade if you will.