Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wrestling

Most of my boys have dabbled in the sport of wrestling in Jr. High. I have the hardest time with the sport because it is so stressful to watch.

Jon was the first, out of the blue just started to wrestle on the school team. He made varsity and there I was sitting at these matches. I remember crying not only through the match but throughout the whole meet and coming home with a tremendous headache because of all the stress it involked in my body just watching! By the end of his Jr. High career, I still didn't like it, but had learned enough that I was usually on the bottom row of the bleachers yelling at our team not to give up. Not just my son, but all of them. I couldn't stand for them to get pinned in the last seconds of a round. So I would try to get them to hear they didn't have much longer. I was so happy when he decided he didn't want to wrestle in high school.

Then Ben decided to wrestle as well. I didn't like the idea again, but went and supported him and the team. By this time, I wasn't suffering from headaches anymore, I just had such a hard time watching them do what they do! He too, decided not to continue in High School. I was relieved, again!

Now Steven wants to wrestle. He couldn't last year because he had a U in citizenship and I guess didn't care enough to take care of it. We really don't have a great team. Our coach should really retire but just hasn't yet. He rarely teaches the boys much of anything, just have at it. If it weren't for Steven's older brothers, he would really be struggling. The kids that do well, take wrestling outside of school during the off season. That makes it harder for the kids who don't have that option.

Anyway, Steven is still struggling to keep his head above the water enough so he can wrestle. He finally took care of the U this year that was holding him back and got on the JV team. I haven't been able to get to all of his meets because I don't have my own car right now. Even though I really don't like to watch it, I usually like to go and support my kids in what they are interested in.




So far he's undefeated, but he's only wrestled in about 5 meets, one of which didn't have a wrestler in his weight class.

3 comments:

Bella said...

Wow! Way to go Steven!

Shawn wrestled before we started dating so I never got to see him, but I can imagine how hard it would be as a mother to watch!

I went to a couple of football games for TJ when he was playing and that was hard! My motherly instincts wanted to wrap my arms around him to protect him!

GG said...

Sorry! I hate it when I comment under my alter ego! hehe

Love ya!!

Jennie said...

I can't say I would be a big fan myself. I don't even do well if I know the people who are involved, let alone if they were my children!
Good Luck!