Last night we had her Young Women's Graduation. I don't know that I have ever heard of "Young Women's Graduation"...but nevertheless, that's what we attended last night. It actually consisted of two events.
During the actual Sunday meeting block schedule, I went to Young Women's with her. There they presented the graduating Laurels with a gift. Melanie received a metal picture tile of the the Oakland Temple. She can use it as a magnet board. Then the YW Pres gave a fond, tearful goodbye to the girls. The Relief Society President was there to escort us to RS. When we got there, we sat in the front of the room and were welcomed by the presidency and then each mother stood with her daughter and presented our daughters to the sisters in RS. We had the opportunity to take a minute and talk about her strengths and accomplishments. The RS Pres promptly presented each girl with their RS manual and their new visiting teaching assignments!! She doesn't waste any time, does she!! Melanie and I get to be partners.
That night we had a Young Women's Graduation Program, they explained it as similar to a Court of Honor for scouting. Anyway, they talked a lot about personal progress and how it was no coincidence that 2/3 of the value experiences they had to complete in order to receive their medallions had to do with going to the scriptures and writing in their journals. They were encouraged to continue this practise and it would help them in their lives.
There were tw
o of the girls who recently earned their medallions. They were presented both in Sac Mtg earlier in the day with their certificates and then their medallions in this evening ceremony. The other two girls earned their medallions previously. Then each of the parents had a few minutes to talk again about their daughters. Since I did it in RS earlier, I told Doug it was only fair that he do it here. He sweetly obliged me and did a wonderful job honoring her. He even choked up a little, very sweet.Melanie was asked to sing a solo, "Daughter of a King". She totally forgot about it until Saturday. This was a song she never heard before, she got with her accompanist and learned it on Sat and sang it on Sunday. She's not very happy with it, but hey for just throwing it together like that, I thought she did wonderful!! 
They also had a display table for the girls to display their projects. One project was to draw temples and make a temple book. She also crocheted a few different things that she donated so she just brought a blanket that she crocheted to show the skill.
All in all, it was a nice evening.
2 comments:
Congrats again Mel! You've done a lot of graduating lately! LOL I guess it's that time of year!
Love the afghan Mel! Where did you learn such a wonderful talent??
Post a Comment