Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Paddy's Day Dinner

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Several years ago I happened to be grocery shopping on St. Paddy's Day and came across some green french bread. I decided it would be fun to have a "green" dinner to celebrate. We had spaghetti and green garlic bread with green milk to drink. The kids thought it was awesome!

It kind of became a tradition to do each year. One year I found green glazed donuts. There were a couple of years where I had a hard time finding green things to eat. It got to the point where I had to think ahead and order it a week in advance in order to get my hands on some. I think one year I just made a macaroni casserole and dumped some green food coloring in it, green salad with green ranch dressing and can't forget the green milk.

There were a couple years when I didn't do anything and some of the kids mentioned it, what happened to our green dinner. So I almost forgot all about it today. I was out doing my last minute case lot shopping when I realized I needed to come up with a "green" dinner.


I decided since I was experimenting making a lot of my own bread lately, to make my own green french bread. It turned out Great!! We decided today to make french bread pizza with our green french bread. I think the younger kids liked the green milk more than anything. It was hard to convince Kim that it didn't taste any different, just looked different!

3 comments:

Angie said...

That's such a fun tradition! And the french bread pizza sounds fabulous! Food coloring makes normal meals so much more interesting. We did green pancakes and syrup for breakfast. YUM!

GG said...

How fun! We usually do cabbage and meatballs on St Patty's Day but this year I completely forgot about it! Oops!

pammy said...

That is so fun! I remember my dad making us green pancakes! Your kids will remember all the fun things that you do for them!