Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Steven's Birthday

Monday, Steven turned 14 years old!

Steven never ceases to amaze me in how he tests me constantly! He decided the weekend before his bday to not only ditch his last class of the day, but to get caught and lie to the police officer to try to get out of it.

I cringe when ever I get a call from the school asst principal because he deals with the "problems". It's not that Steven is a trouble maker, usually. But this year he is having some issues, obviously. Earlier this year he was jumped by some kids in the halls and was suspended for defending himself. Long story, but boy was I not happy with that. Anyway, it wasn't just a one time thing, so I've had a few calls from Mr. Jackman.

Anyway, Friday, Mr. Jackman called me to inform me of this most recent infraction. Because it's his first truancy, it was classified as a warning, which only means no fees. But he did get in school suspension. Which basically is sitting in detention the whole day. I don't get the idea that you get in trouble for missing a class, so they punish you by making you miss all your classes for one day! Am I missing something here??? The alternative is for him to have to attend classes and miss his lunch social time for 5 days. That's the one I chose! It just makes more sense to me.
The point of telling you this is my dillemma of, it was his birthday weekend and week and now I couldn't let him go hang out with his friends. Hello?, couldn't he pick a better week to do something like this? Why do I feel bad punishing him???


Anyway, we celebrated with just our family. He asked for our traditional waffles and Ice cream breakfast. Jon and Beth took him on a hike to Elephant Rock after school. They seemed to enjoy that. They came home laughing and laughing. It's not exactly the best time of year to go hiking in the mountains. The very last of the hike, Jon was knee deep in the snow which made Steven even deeper!! They said it was still fun! I'll have to get some pics from their cameras and make a post out of it!





He wanted pizza for his bday dinner. We were supposed to play some games together, but he and Dad took off for longer than expected, they were supposed to be getting ice cream, but ended up at blockbuster, go figure!! We only had time for him to open his presents (yes, I caved and gave him his present anyway. :) )and have cake and ice cream before my elementary kids had to get to bed.
He stayed up and watched a movie before I scooted him to bed just before midnight.


Even though Steven likes to test me A LOT, I do recognize that he is also a sweetheart. He doesn't seem to mind being our "go for" anything. If I say I need something from the storage rooms or fridges downstairs, he's the first to volunteer. If anyone asks to go get anything, he jumps. He doesn't seem to mind babysitting and playing with his younger brother and sisters. He scratches backs during sacrament meeting. He can be quite thoughtful when he puts his mind to it! I Love you, Baby!!

1 comment:

GG said...

Well, happy birthday Steven! I'm glad you were able to still have fun on your birthday, but I wouldn't recommend getting in trouble next year! LOL

PS - I love that first pic!