Friday, February 19, 2010

What do you think???

I've had an interesting situation come up and I am curious as to what YOU think.

Here's my question....

Do you think parents should be able to quietly sit in the back of their child's classroom when ever they feel the need to? This is of course after signing in at the office and possessing a visitor's badge.

Think about that for a minute while I tell you the shortened version of my story.

Kimberly has to give a current events oral report every week. When she came home I asked her how she did, this was her 2nd week, she said thinks she did alright, but her teacher wouldn't let her use her notes at all. I said what?, did she do that to all of you? She said no, just me. Obviously, I was a little perplexed, because I didn't prepare her to have it memorized, just comfortable enough not to have to keep her nose in the paper. The next day, I decided I needed to go to the classroom and observe the next set of these reports and watch what was expected so I could better prepare her for the next one.

I checked into the office, and quietly sat in the back of the class. After the reports were given, the kids left for recess, I asked the teacher about the correct form to use because the one she gave me in parent/teacher conference was different than what was used in class that day. She gave me her answer. She talked a few minutes about Kimberly's report the day before, I was very careful not to comment too much. I didn't want to start something during the school day. I did think it was interesting she started to explain herself when I didn't say a thing about it.

Anyway, the bell rang and she left to go get the kids. I left and came home. She asked Kim why I was there and she told her to watch the current events reports.

Do you see a problem with that??? Keep in mind, I am an involved parent. I attend my parent/teacher conferences, as well as volunteer in my children's classrooms. I have been an involved parent in this school for 8 years. I would be surprised if there were very many adults in that entire school that either didn't know me or know of me or my family.

Well, she was upset that I was there without an appointment? I didn't tell her why I was there or how long I was going to be there. She never asked and I didn't interrupt to volunteer that information. If she would have asked, I would have told her I was there to see the current events reports.

She got the principal involved and he backed her and said I had no business being in there with out giving her a "heads up" first. All for safety reasons. I called the district, and they backed them as well.

I thought to myself... if I was interested in what was "really" going on in my child's classroom, why would I give the teacher a "heads up" to prepare for my being there. Wouldn't it be a more clear assessment if I just showed up? Why can't I as a parent, whose checked into the office, check on my childs school experience when ever I feel the need to ??

What do you think???

6 comments:

GG said...

You know my thoughts. I agree with you. I believe that if you sign into the school and they are aware that you are there, there is no need for a "heads up" to the teacher. As I said last night, I wouldn't call up a teenager and tell them I was going to go to their friends house to see what they were doing. I would just show up.

Love ya and good luck!! I still tink you should discuss the ID policy with the principal. I don't see how sitting in the back of the class is a safety issue.

Jennie said...

I am with you. I would like to know what happens without the teacher being prepped for it. I would like to see the REAL teaching going on, not the show!
You are the one paying for her education; shouldn't you be allowed to see what you are paying for?

Jessica and Rod said...

I can understand both points of view. I think parents should know what's going on in the children's classrooms. Principals make unannounced visits to observe classrooms, so why not teachers?
But I can also see how a teacher would be territorial and a bit defensive to have a parent come into a classroom unannounced. Maybe a phone call heads up wouldn't necessarily cause her to change her lesson plans or behavior, but she could have addressed your concerns more clearly.
So ... why didn't she allow Kim to use her notes?

Donna said...

My principal swears he would never visit a classroom without notice. He even went so far as to say that the superintendant would never do so either.

So if he's not watching and keeping our teachers in check, who is???

Anyway, She has told me on two different occassions two different things. She both admitted and denied that she wouldn't let her use her notes. She said she didn't want her reading it, so she told her to put it down and not look at it. Then later that day when we were talking about it after school, she said she didn't tell her she couldn't look at it. What ever!!

There's so much to this story, this was the VERY shortened version.

I really went with the intention to observe the current events so I could better prepare Kim in her next assignments. The teacher is the one who has turned this into a safety issue.

I've never really thought about observing a teacher, per say...this incident and accusation just got me thinking about that possibility.

Not to mention the fact that I've always been told at back to school nights that I am always welcome in my child's classroom whenever I want to come. Go figure??!!!

I guess that's not true, at least in this tachers classroom.

Angie said...

Oh, Donna! What a frustrating situation! Having been both teacher and student, I can see a bit of both perspectives. But as a teacher we frequently had people (parents, supervisors) in our classroom without notice. The only reasons it might be a concern were if a parent had child custody issues, was alone with a student, or was distracting to the students in some way (some students act very differently in class when a parent is there). Obviously your behavior fell into none of these categories.

To be honest, her defensive behavior, and that of the principal, would push me into protective 'mama bear' mode. If they don't have anything to hide, then why not allow you to stop by?

Of course, me being a home-school mom, I'm probably a bit more opinionated than most. :o)

I hope things work out for you!

Angie

Rena said...

So my sister is a teacher in Atlanta and I wanted her perspective as a teacher. That is the rule in her school too. The attendance office should have never let you in the classroom without letting the teacher know you were coming. That where the issue really start not with you. Does she agree as a parent? Heck no. The reasoning behind the rule at her school is because it disrupts the class even though you were just sitting quietly in the back. So, there is a method to their madness. Do you have to agree oh no. I am behind you 100%. She should have never even mentioned you coming into the class to Kimberly. I feel that the issue should have been kept between you and the teacher. Now it is a big issue and your child is going to be in the middle. If anyone can get things done it is you. Go for it.