Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Road to Success

I got a phone call the other day from Amy the secretary at our Elementary School, I thought oh no another mishap...


We got our letters from our teachers to let us know what classes we were in when we got home from Canada. It wasn't too bad, but not exactly what I wanted...Kim got Mrs. Lowry, but she is team teaching this year so it's also Mrs. Wiser. Not too bad! Aaron got Mrs. Moyes. Not terrible, Steven did horrible with her, but Emily did wonderful with her. I was hoping for Mrs. Adams. Tiffany got Mrs. Bauer, the one I wanted, but pm Kindergarten. Not good! I would trade teachers for morning.

Over the next week I got another letter for Aaron, stating that there was a mistake in the mailings and that Aaron was actually in Mrs. Adams! Score!! I called the school about Kindergarten. There just wasn't room, so I just asked to put us on the waiting list if there were any openings. Amy called me the first time to let me know there was another mishap with the remailings of the 3rd grade teacher letters and she just wanted me to know that Aaron was indeed in Mrs. Adams class! Then said there was a possibility that we were going to get morning Kindergarten. She'd call me back. A few hours later she called and indeed there were enough late registrants to warrant putting her in morning. Not only that, but I didn't have to switch teachers! Woo hoo!! I pretty much got all that I was hoping for! Sooo...


You can imagine my hesitancy when Amy calls me again. Oh no, what now? I finally got it where I wanted it. But it turned out it was a nice surprise...


Our School does a Road to Success Program. The kids read and record their minutes every day. They turn in their minutes to their teachers and receive a ticket for every 100 minutes they read. There is a big drawing for prizes at the end of the year some big, some not so big. There usually is a couple of brand new bikes! Aaron actually got one of his tickets pulled out! Amy said he had won a Utah Educational Savings Plan college savings certificate worth $50! She said it needed to be redeemed by sept 15th. Apparently, I just open an account for him online and they invest it and by the time he's ready for college, it's there for him. I guess we'll see how it works!


When I asked him about it, the kids talked about him getting called up there, but they didn't really know what he had won. Poor kid thought he had won a bike and was confused and disappointed when he realized he didn't. I didn't know anything about it until I got this phone call.


Kinda Cool! Congrats to Aaron!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Aaron!!! Thats really awesome!

Love you Aunt Donna!!! I miss you so much! Send my hugs to the family!
XOXO