Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Trip to Canada

Doug left for Tennessee for an IT work retreat on Thursday (Apr 22nd). I had to ask him what's in Tennessee? He said it was one of their sites. It was basically a team building trip. A lot of people he works with live and work in different states. This is a way to get them all together and get to know each other better.

Anyway, We got him home about 4:30pm on Sunday night. As he walked in the door, I asked him how he was doing and was he very tired? He said not too bad. I said, cool, how about we head to Canada tonight???

He said, what?? I got a call from Brent over the weekend that Aunt Belle (one of Grandpa Forsyth's sisters) passed away and her funeral was on Monday. I looked into flying, but it just wasn't going to work, money wise and time wise. We just couldn't get there in time on a plane, not to mention that it was almost $1,000 for each ticket! Brent also mentioned that their Dad wasn't doing real great. I thought this is a great excuse to go to Canada and see their Dad!

Doug went along with it and within about 3 hours, we were on our way to Canada!

Since I am not a good long distance driver, we decided to let me drive first while it was still light, somewhat. This was just before 8pm. Doug slept first. I was amazed that I made it all the way to Dillon, MT before I was getting too sleepy to drive anymore. That's about 4 1/2 hours and a whole tank of gas! I feel very blessed because that is so not like me. The last time we drove all night to get there, was when Grandma passed away. The only reason I made it then was because I had Jon in the car ahead of me on the walkie talkie talking to me the whole time! I was on my own this time, so I feel very blessed to have been able to stay so awake!

We switched off and I slept and Doug drove. I guess he was more tired than he thought. He didn't make it a couple hours and he was getting tired. I had to get him talking to me about his trip to Tennessee to keep him awake. He made it to Shelby, ID. We switched off again, and I drove across the border at about 6am, Monday morning!

As we made the turn toward Del Bonita, Doug gets this idea that he wants to go to Raymond and find the house he lived in when his family lived there. I was tired enough that I told him if he wanted to that was fine, but he would have to drive there. So we switched drivers and I slept some more.

We found the house, he took the pictures he wanted. He was surprised the see that from the outside, it really hadn't changed all that much!

We got to Diana and Ron's at about 8am. Just in time for breakfast! We got ready and left for the funeral. It was very nice and tons of people were there! It was like a huge family reunion! There was lots of visiting and reminiscing. It was so awesome to see Grandpa and kiss him several times! (I'm hoping to write a little something about him on his blog soon.)

It was kind of cool to walk around Cardston Cemetery and find and visit several graves of ancestors whose names we recognized! We weren't back at Diana's until 4pm!

We continued to visit and enjoy being with family, Merlin & Delores, Brent & Karen and their boys were there. We got up Tuesday morning, and visited some more! There never is enough time for that!! :)

We went to find some Canadian candy to bring back to the kids and Doug had to check out the coins at the bank, then we were off. We didn't make it very far to find, we both were pretty tired from our long weekend. We did make it to Dillon, though, and decided to stop and get a room to sleep.

We got home Wednesday afternoon just in time to see the kids get home from school!!

We forgot a camera, so we took some pics with Doug's phone. I'll have to see if he'll send them to me and add them later.

2 comments:

GG said...

I'm sorry your trip was made under the circumstances, but I am glad you were able to visit with family and have a pleasent time!

I love you!!

Anonymous said...

WOW..talk about a last minute haul to Canada! I bet it was real nice to have some time alone though! I am glad you had a good time, especially with the reason of going in the first place. Love you! XOXO