Tuesday, May 25, 2010

WC - "Choose Ye This Day to Serve the Lord"

Julie B. Beck
General President of the Relief Society

She spoke at the opening session on the first day of Women's Conference. I was in such cramped quarters that I didn't get to take as good of notes as I wanted, just thoughts and impressions as I was waiting for the next class. I wrote that I so hoped I would get the chance to find it online or that they would replay it on BYU.TV so I could listen to it again. Wouldn't you know she gave a condensed version of the same talk in our Regional Conference on May 2nd!! Even hearing it twice I still hope to get a printed version to study it out more. Anyway, here's my notes from both times I heard it.

"We each are pivotal in the success of our families. - Be like Rebekah."

She talked about how We need to be lionesses at the gate of our homes. What's important to us will show in our lives and homes. We need to guard and protect our families and homes.

**When our priorities are not in order, we lose power!**

We need to prioritize with Heavenly Father's help. Take paper and pencil to our personal prayers with Him, so we can write down the promptings and inspiration that comes, so we won't forget.

She suggessted 3 categories

Essential - these things include ...
personal revelation
reading/studying the scriptures
fasting & prayer
keeping/making covenants
attending sacrament meetings & temple

Necessary -
homemaking- keeping a house of order, meals
It's important to make a place for the spirit of the Lord to come
Love and support Husband, spirit of meekness
Value things that are important to Salvation

Nice to do -Nice but won't save us
crafts
hobbies
recreational activities
travel
lunches with friends, etc.

I thought it was way interesting to hear her talk about how spending time at "lunches with friends" and what the world deems as "time out" is the nice to do list and is not life saving stuff! We need to spend more time serving and loving our families. But if we really organize our time and work on the mandatory (essential) and important things, we'll find we actually find time to do some of those things that are on our "Nice to do" list. Just remember they are NOT important and will not hlep us achieve exhaltation!

She said that single sisters are every bit as important in the Lord's work as married sisters!

She also strongly suggested that we take the time to really study and learn why we are here and what our purpose is.

1 comment:

GG said...

I really like this one. If you ever find the talk printed, let me know.