Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bountiful Handcart Days

It sure gets crazy around here for Bountiful Handcart Days. People line up their chairs and blankets more than 12 hours before the parade! We've never really been parade people. So we find it hard to understand what the hype is all about for parade goers. Then they do the same for the fireworks. We are fortunate to be able to see the fireworks from our house! I like to take the kids to the pool during the parade because it's much cooler and mostly empty because everyone is at the parade!!


Jon has sung at Bountiful Handcart Days for 6 years now. Seems every year he doesn't plan on being around, and for one reason or another he is, and at the last minute the entertainment committee is scrambling to give him a space to sing because they love him so much! This year was no different. They could only scrounge up 1/2 an hour, but it was fun to go listen to him sing. He sang quite the diversity in song choices this year, from Rascal Flats, to Aero Smith, to Josh Groban! He did a great job!


They sang a duet called The Prayer. They do a great job, and I love the way they smiled at each other when they finished!!

Melanie has sung at Bountiful Handcart Days for probably 3 years with Jon. This year she sang her angel Italian song that she sang at Gardner Hall for solo and ensemble when she was in high school. She sang it every bit as beautiful as she did then. I tried to link to a previous post that had a recording of it, but it wouldn't load. If I can get it to load I will put the link here.










We walked around with the kids for a little bit afterwards. I was amazed at how expensive everything was. I guess that's how it goes for fair like games and activities. We let the kids go on one of those big blow up obstacle courses then they played on the playground. I then talked them into just going home and making sno cones there! I know I should loosen up a little bit!! :)
I was surprised that I had to remind the kids why we celebrate Bountiful Handcart Days. Being in Utah, it seems we talk about the pioneers all the time. I guess they just didn't put the two together! Lol

2 comments:

GG said...

I'm SO glad I was able to make it to this performance! It was a lot of fun!

My kids were a bit disappointed that we couldn't stay and play because of time contraints but my wallet was happy!

Donna said...

This is when I feel the strain of a big family the most, is at places like this. $1 to $2 a ride no big deal, right? As though it's not expensive enough. But when you multiply that by 3 and 4 kids, it adds up so quick!! I just can't bring myself to do it most of the time!!

We were so sad you had to leave too. We miss you guys!!